Pizza. Possibly the world’s most perfect food. How could I possibly make any improvements to this classic dish?
Fine, let’s call this an “adjustment.” It’s vegan. It’s healthier. And you might even convince your kids to eat a mushroom. And THAT would really be a win, wouldn’t it???
Prep: 20 minutes ~ Cook: 10 minutes ~ Serves: 4
4 large portobella mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
1 T olive oil
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 c cashew cream (- 1/2 c cashews, blended with 3/8 c unsweetened non-dairy milk)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained really well
1/2 c vegan mozzarella shreds (I recommend Daiya brand)
1.5 T dried oregano
3/4 T garlic powder
1/2 T onion powder
1/4 c fresh basil, diced
1/4 t each salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to broil 500. Brush mushrooms lightly on both sides with oil. Sprinkle inside of each cap with 1/8 t onion powder. Broil (500 degrees) for 5 minutes on each side.
2. Prepare cashew cream by blending cashews and milk together on high speed in a small blender (like a Nutribullet.)
3. Stir together all other ingredients in a bowl.
4. Spoon onto inside of mushroom cups.
5. Cook at 350 for 10 minutes until the cheese shreds are melted.